Art Burger is founder and chair of Jackson & Campbell’s Professional Responsibility Practice Group, representing some of the most distinguished law firms and attorneys in Washington, D.C. in matters related to ethics, including suits alleging breach of fiduciary duties, disciplinary cases, conflicts of interest, motions to disqualify, fee disputes, bar admissions, law firm dissolution, attorney migration, unauthorized practice issues and related litigation. Art has over 35 years of experience as a civil litigator in federal and state courts and is quoted frequently for his opinions on legal ethics and legal malpractice. He was a member of the D.C. Bar Ethics Committee from 2003 to 2009 and was a member of the D.C. Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee from 1998 to 2004. In 2011, he was elected by the D.C. Bar to a 2-year term as a delegate to the ABA, where he worked with the ABA Ethics 20/20 Commission. Art has an AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.
Art has taught numerous D.C. Bar/CLE courses on legal ethics, is on the Adjunct Faculty of George Mason University Law School, has published many articles regarding ethics for lawyers and has served as an expert witness. He is an active member of the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers.
Speaking Engagements Over the Last Ten Years:
Click here to view copies of selected articles written by Arthur D. Burger.
- D.C. Bar CLE ethics courses through 2013, including "The Mandatory Course For New Admittees" (ethics portion), "Trial Ethics," "Ethics of Retainer Agreements and Billing Practices," "Ethics Strategies For Large and Mid-Size Firms," "Ethics Issues for Lobbyists," and "When Lawyers Change Law Firms."
- Women's Bar Association of D.C. - "Ethics Update"- 2013
- Fed. Comm. Bar - "Conflicts of Interest in Rule-Making Matters" - 2013
- D.C. Trial Lawyers’ Association "Ethics Tips" - 2013
- NABCA Conference- "Ethics in Representing Organizations" - 2013
- Strafford Webinar on "Joint Representation in IP Litigation" - 2012
- ALI-ABA Webinar on Ethics in Employment Law - 2011
- Federal Bar Association - "Ethics Rules For Tax Attorneys" - 2010
- Probate Section of the D.C. Bar - Ethics Panel with D.C. Bar Counsel - 2008
- International Law Institute - "Legal Ethics for U.S. Lawyers" - 2007, 2008, 2009
- Mealeys' Course - "Ethics Issues Re Additional Insureds" (Chicago, IL) - 2007
- Mealeys' Telephone Course - "Ethics Issues Re In-House Counsel" - 2006
- Mealeys' Course - "Ethics Issues Re Additional Insureds" (Boston, MA) - 2006
- Federal Energy Bar, Annual Conference - 2004
- National Association of Attorneys' General (at Ole Miss Law School) - 2004
- D.C. Bar Corporate Law Section, "Sarbanes-Oxley" - 2003
- American Univ. Law School Symposium on Sarbanes-Oxley - 2003
- Communications Section of the D.C. Bar - 2002 and 2003