Ms. Deese, Chair of the Firm’s Health Law Practice Group, specializes in defending health care providers at their most vulnerable. She prides herself on minimizing the angst providers experience when dealing with the lawsuits and investigations that are unavoidable for today’s practitioners. She handles medical malpractice cases and credentialing issues within institutions and before the various licensing boards. Crystal defends lawsuits related to all aspects of health care and privacy in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. She also concentrates her practice on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act investigations and manages breaches of all sizes.
Crystal has first-chaired the defense of significant medical malpractice trials on behalf of the region’s largest health system and its providers. She has a proven track record of success and is widely regarded for her courtroom advocacy skills and professionalism. Crystal’s skills and natural leadership ability, combined with her knowledge of health care, have lead to her invitation to serve as a guest speaker and presenter at regional programs on health care risk management and related issues. She currently serves on the Continuing Legal Education Committee for The District of Columbia Bar and regularly teaches courses there.
Crystal received her Bachelor of Arts from Winthrop University (1993, magna cum laude) and her J.D. from American University, Washington College of Law (1996, cum laude). She is a member of the bars of The District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.
- “The 2021 Tort Law Seminar – Order of Proof” (Prince George’s County Bar Association) – 2021
- “Effective Deposition Practice Series – Depositions that Work: Advanced Strategies” (The District of Columbia Bar) – 2021
- “Handling a Medical Malpractice Case: The Basics & Beyond 2021” (The District of Columbia Bar) – 2021
- “Refresher Course on Using the Bluebook: Practice Tips” (The District of Columbia Bar) – 2021
- “Tort Damages in the District of Columbia” (The District of Columbia Bar) – 2020
- “Refresher Course on Using the Bluebook: Practice Tips” (Clear Law Institute webinar) – 2019
- “Refresher Course on Using the Bluebook: Practice Tips” (The District of Columbia Bar) – 2018