Ms. Kuhn is a Director in Jackson & Campbell, P.C.’s Business Law Practice Group, specializing in a variety of federal and state tax and non-tax matters and litigation in federal and state courts. She is also the Chair of Jackson & Campbell’s Tax Law Practice Group.
Nancy has a strong and diverse background in tax planning, tax policy, representation of taxpayers before the IRS, and general litigation. She has represented many taxpayers undergoing IRS audits, in addition to taxpayers in IRS appeals and collections. Nancy also advises clients with complex structures including joint ventures and domestic/international affiliated entities. She assists clients in navigating and negotiating favorable settlements with the IRS in trust and estate matters, employment tax, nonprofits, and individual/corporate collection matters. Nancy frequently advises clients who are in the planning stages of philanthropy, ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code. She also advises individuals and corporate entities with regard to foreign and domestic tax issues, along with related business issues including complex litigation in federal and state courts. Nancy is an expert witness and advisor regarding syndicated charitable conservation easements.
Nancy’s existing clients include a variety of domestic and foreign high net-worth individuals, corporations, nonprofit organizations, and domestic and foreign limited liability entities.
Nancy was named a Super Lawyer in 2020, 2021 and 2022 by Washington D.C. Super Lawyers, a supplement of The Washington Lawyer.
Prior to joining Jackson & Campbell, Nancy was Of Counsel with a D.C. law firm specializing in federal tax matters. Nancy also served with the IRS for ten years, primarily litigating before the United States Tax Court on behalf of the government. Nancy also served as an attorney-advisor at the United States Tax Court. Prior to law school, Nancy was a professional musician and Fulbright Scholar in Trondheim, Norway.
Nancy is active in the community and is a member of a variety of organizations. She sings with the Washington Chorus, Washington’s premier adult chorus which performs frequently at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Nancy is a member of the Murdock Inn of Court and Co-Chair of the 20 + Experts and the Women in Politics Committees of the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia. She is a long-distance runner and directs a handbell choir.
- Conservation Easements: A Circuit Split on the Validity of a Treasury Regulation, April 11, 2022
- “A Split in the Circuits: Will Supreme Court Take Up Easement Challenge?” Bloomberg Tax Insights, April 4, 2022
- “The IRS is Denied its Usual Quick Path to Victory” Bloomberg Tax, March 16, 2022
- “A Rare Victory for Taxpayers in the Fight for Conservation Easements”, Bloomberg Tax Report, January 19, 2022
- “Our Democracy Needs A Change in Tax Policy” Bloomberg Tax Report, September 3, 2021
- “Charitable Conservation Easements: Is There a Need for Tax Planning” Bloomberg Tax Report, July 22, 2021
- “The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals: The Current Focus for Conservation Easements” Bloomberg Tax Report, April 1, 2021
- “INSIGHT: Conservation Easements- Will They Be Saved on Appeal?” Bloomberg Tax Report, September 10, 2020
- “INSIGHT: Charitable Conservation Easements- IRS And Tax Court Act To Shut Them Down,” Bloomberg Tax Report, July 22, 2020
- “Keep church and state separate,” The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, February 5, 2017
- “Nonprofits and Campaign Activities,” WBA Raising the Bar, September/October 2016
- “Large Charities Require Big Bucks,” The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, June 7, 2015
- “Congress Should Reform Our Corporate Tax Structure,” The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, September 26, 2014
- “IRS probe should spur reform,” The Washington Post – Letters to the Editor, May 16, 2013
- “Secretive No More, Nonprofits Must Disclose Donors” Tax Analysts August 27, 2012
- “Accountable Care Organizations: Tax Consequences to Tax Exempt Healthcare Organizations in Joint Ventures,” Tax Analysts Exempt Organization Tax Review, July 2011
- “Collection Issues? Taxpayers Take The Fast Track to Tax Court” Tax Analysts, August 30, 2010
- “What Will Health Care Legislation Hold for Nonprofit Hospitals?” Taxation of Exempts, Nov/Dec 2009
- “Private Foundations and the Protection of Assets” co-authored with Marcus S. Owens, Tax Analysts’ The Exempt Organization Tax Review, June 2009
- “Separating Exempt-Purpose and Non-Exempt Purpose Activities” Taxation of Exempts, Sept/Oct 2008