Mr. Burger is a national leader in legal ethics, legal malpractice, and the law governing lawyers. He chairs Jackson & Campbell, P.C.’s Professional Responsibility Practice Group, which has been representing prominent law firms and lawyers for over two decades.
Selected repeatedly as a Best Lawyer® in Ethics and Professional Responsibility by Best Lawyers of America© and as a Super Lawyer® in Professional Liability Defense, Art is a passionate advocate for his clients in the areas of legal malpractice, fiduciary duties, motions to disqualify, internal law firm disputes, Bar disciplinary proceedings, and matters before the Office of Enrollment and Discipline of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He also serves as outside counsel to law firms and is equally passionate in providing guidance regarding potential conflicts of interest and other ethical dilemmas in order to reduce or eliminate the risk from such problems. He similarly serves internally as Jackson & Campbell’s in-house ethics counsel.
In addition to his experience as a practitioner, Art has a deep background in the jurisprudence of ethics law. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the “ABA/BNA Manual on Professional Conduct” and an Adjunct Professor at the Antonin Scalia Law School of George Mason University, teaching a night class in Professional Responsibility. Previously, he was a member of the ten-person American Bar Association (ABA) Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility from 2014 to 2017; an elected District of Columbia Bar Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates from 2011 to 2012, where he worked with the ABA Ethics 20/20 Commission; a member of the District of Columbia Bar Legal Ethics Committee from 2003 to 2009; a member of the District of Columbia Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee from 1998 to 2004; and he has taught numerous District of Columbia Bar continuing legal education courses (CLE) on legal ethics and has lectured around the country.
Art also serves as an expert witness on legal ethics.
“Nothing great […] has ever been accomplished without passion.” ~ Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Grew up playing stickball in Queens, New York.
|Art Burger, D.C. Bar Delegate, speaks to the ABA House of Delegates in August of 2011, during a debate on
an amendment to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
|Art Burger, seen on the right, co-teaching a D.C. Bar CLE course on conflicts of interest in May of 2018 with D.C. Deputy Disciplinary Counsel, Julia Porter.|
- “Conflict of Interest Issues for Intellectual Property Lawyers: Problems and Solutions.” IP Litigator magazine, vol. 25, no. 4 – 2019.
- ABA National Conference on Professional Responsibility, “Strengthen and Update Internal Risk Management,” (Vancouver, Canada) – 2019
- ABA Intellectual Property Law Annual Meeting, regarding ethics issues for intellectual property practitioners (Arlington, Virginia) – 2019
- National Legal Malpractice Conference of the ABA, regarding claims of aiding and abetting (Las Vegas) – 2018
- ABA National Conference on Professional Responsibility, “When Clients Go Rogue” (Louisville, Kentucky) – 2018
- Federal Communications Bar, “Ethics in a Changing World” (Washington, D.C.) – 2018
- Annual AON Law Firm Symposium, “Motions to Disqualify” (Washington, D.C.) – 2017
- Annual ABA/CPR Conference (Denver) – 2015
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington DC – 2014
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers Conference, “Ethics Rules and Lawyers’ Civil Liability” (Boston) – 2014
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia, “Ethics Update” – 2013
- Federal Communications Bar Association, “Conflicts of Interest in Rule-Making Matters” – 2013
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC, “Ethics Tips” – 2013
- NABCA Conference, “Ethics in Representing Organizations” – 2013
- ABA Annual Meeting – Floor Debate on ABA Model Rules as proposed by the ABA Commission Ethics 20/20 (Washington, D.C.) – 2012
- Strafford Webinar, “Joint Representation in IP Litigation” – 2012
- American Law Institute-ABA Webinar, Ethics in Employment Law – 2011
- Federal Bar Association, “Ethics Rules For Tax Attorneys” – 2010
- Probate Section of the District of Columbia Bar CLE, Ethics Panel with the District of Columbia Bar Counsel – 2008
- International Law Institute, “Legal Ethics for U.S. Lawyers” – 2007, 2008, 2009
- Mealeys’ Course, “Ethics Issues Regarding Additional Insureds” (Chicago) – 2007
- Mealeys’ Telephone Course, “Ethics Issues Regarding In-House Counsel” – 2006
- Mealeys’ Course, “Ethics Issues Re Additional Insureds” (Boston) – 2006
- Federal Energy Bar, Annual Conference – 2004
- National Association of Attorneys General (The University of Mississippi Law School) – 2004
- District of Columbia Bar CLE courses on various aspects of legal ethics regularly presented – 1998 through 2018